Tags: autistic, bump, children, dent, drugs, head, heads, health, heard, hisomeone, medications, mental, odd-shaped, strange

Odd-shaped head?

On Health & Drugs & Medications » Mental Health

10,557 words with 25 Comments; publish: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 04:52:00 GMT; (90077.88, « »)

Hi

Someone told me that autistic children usually have odd-shaped heads or maybe a strange bump/dent or two here and there. I also heard that big heads may have something to do with autisim. My daughter's head shape is indeed a little squarish but I thought she just inherited that from me (and I am not autistic). Do any of you find that your child's head is not nice and round or a little large?

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 25 Comments
    • I found this interesting because I have never heard that before. When my son with pdd nos was a baby I asked his pediatrician several times why his head was so bumpy and he said it was no big deal. His head eventually lost most of the bumpiness - but I wonder what that was all about.
      #1; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:11:00 GMT
    • My ASD son's head is perfect. He is the only one in the family who can wear a brush cut and look great.
      #2; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:12:00 GMT
    • When my son was born, I scheduled him for a cat scan because his head was shaped funny. The sutures were not completely connected, but now his head is shaped fine.
      #3; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:13:00 GMT
    • Hi I actually find this question interesting, I have done alittle internet "research" (just asking heaps of mums questions) and I have found that many autistic children including both of mine tend to have a large ridge down the centre of thier head, it runs from the fontenelle (well where it used to be anyway) down to just above the nose, and can be felt by running your hard across thier forehead. Not all children have this but I have found quite a few who have. This goes with the theory of the brain growing to fast, a theory they have been recently researching. It usually appears at about 18months of age and starts disapearing at about 4-5 years of age. Hope this has helped. Oh and this is generally not listed in any research anywhere, but when I called the research labs over here in australia, the paed. researching it actually said that he had found this in about 70% of the kids that he was using for his research into autism (all autistic).
      #4; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:14:00 GMT
    • I too have heard that a common characteristic of autistic kids is a large head.

My 5 year old son's head is the same size as mine and I'm 33. We had to buy him a bicycle helmet sized for a teenager! He's always been large since birth.

#5; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:15:00 GMT
    • hi,

my 3and1/2 year old son with autism has also squarish head. he had cat scam, MRI but neurosurgery said it doesn't seem nothing wrong with autism and it's just his shape.

#6; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:16:00 GMT
    • Hi, I'm new to this message board. I'm so glad I found it!

I wanted to reply about the odd shaped head. When my son was born, he had the head size of a 2 month old baby. (ouch!) His head started to grow quickly and the doctors thought he had water on the brain and would require a shunt. After a cat scan and an MRI, we found out he was born with extra brain tissue. His head started to level off and he grew into his head. However, it is still large, was very bumpy and dented when born and he has always required adult size hats and helmuts.He is ten now.

#7; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:17:00 GMT
    • Sorry, my computer messed up. So there is two of me's!:0

[This message has been edited by Carina (edited 05-20-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Carina (edited 05-20-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Carina (edited 05-20-2003).]

#8; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:18:00 GMT
    • My 13 year old autistic brother was born with a small head! His head is now big because he has big bones. But I have never heard about that and don't believe it is necessarily true. I have saw many autistic people with regular shape heads. But who knows http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/wink.gif?

~*Carina*~

#9; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:19:00 GMT
    • Hello everyone, My son has an odd shaped head, and he does have the line down the center to his nose, It has always been fairly large for his age, and he is also large as well. We just had a MRI done friday, so I am awaiting the results, He has some bumpy areas too, but nothing said about it, since it is still forming.
      #10; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:20:00 GMT
    • Yes that is true.I am actually a 19 year old with the exact same problem.I also like most people with autism have an odd shaped head.My neck seems to be a bit larger than normal from the sides.Yes,some mentally challanged people have that too but obviously that does not mean that autistic people are crazy.You might have also noticed some things with their.It seems to be growing abnormally sometimes,like mine.
      #11; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:21:00 GMT
    • When my son was approx 1 year old, we noticed that his head was lopsided in the back. A visit to the neurosurgeon confirmed early closure of the cranio bones in the back of his skill, which was casuing the deformation. An operation was performed to 'snip' the closure and a spacer was implanted. Now he is 6 years old and his head/face have a nice symmetry.
      #12; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:22:00 GMT
    • Hi my son's head was normal when born now he is 10yrs old its large but he's a big kid. Interesting posts Im learning alot of new views and ideas from this board. take care all.
      #13; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:23:00 GMT

------

Mom to Dylan ASD and Devin NT

#14; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:24:00 GMT

------

#15; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:25:00 GMT
    • I never really thought about it until I read this post. Ryan, my 4 year old son, had a bumpy head.(were the plates grew together) My pediatrician at the time said it was nothing to worry about. (She also told me Ryan was going through a phase and was in no way autistic)His head has gotten better. It now has a normal shape and size.

Joanne

#16; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:26:00 GMT
    • acbuchan,

You have me scared. My son is nine months old and has a ridge on the from of his head that fits the description that you gave. His head is also quite large. (Born that way.) His eye contact is mediocre at best. What are other early warning signs? I am concerned.

#17; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:27:00 GMT
    • My step daughter has an extremely large head she is going to be 7 in a few months and has been wearing an extra large adult bike helment since she was 4 years old...very round face in the front her head is completely flat in the back, I mean completely flat in the back....she's not been offically diagnosised but I'm sure she will be classified as high function autism...
      #18; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:28:00 GMT
    • Its so nice to have this forum to speak about this subject I have been very educated from all the feedback I've gotten from everyone, I did start a new thread regarding the time line on diagonisis, when did your son get diagonised and how long did they evaluate him before they gave you the final diagnosis.
      #19; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:29:00 GMT
    • === Original Words ===

DScottK:

acbuchan,

Hi DScottK, dont panic!! this doesnt necessarily mean autism! Its still seen in normal children, its just that it is more frequent in autistic children. All it means is that the plates on your childs head are either growing to fast and therefore causing a ridge, or that there may be a perfectly normal variation in your child. If you are concerned though i would go and see a specialist paediatrician. If your son does turn out to be autistic or anything similar, there is not much you can do at this age anyway, appart from trying to expose your child to as much variety, education, music and people as appropriate. this is great even for normal children, helps them become well adjusted and friendly little members of society!!

By the way if it is autism, generally you wont really know until about 18 months (hence the classic diagnostic age and the MMR time) which may I add is what I think caused my children autism, though I know that is not proven, but my children were the few that actually stopped breathing after being immunised, so we know that was the cause.

Good luck!

------

#20; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:30:00 GMT
    • My Son was born 6 weeks early and his head measured in at that of a 3 month old child,they tested him for fluid on the brain but found nothing,he's 8 now and was dx Autistic,dispraxia at 5,his head is bigger than mine and is square and very hard,almost like his skin is stretched to the limits because his skull is so hard and odd shaped.Whenever he's banged his head the skin is so thin that he cuts straight through to the skull immediatly.we've had 3 bangs like that but he heals extremely quickly so is lucky in that respect.It dosen't bother him at all,but there's some spitefull kids at school that seem to find it funny to take the &*%$ out of him,doesn't it make you soooooo mad when that happens.He's my boy and I'm so proud of him,and if being like the others at school made him as insensitive as they are I wouldn't have him any other way than he is now.
      #21; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:31:00 GMT
    • My Aspergers son had a large head when he was born. Very round. He still has a round head unlike mine or my husbands. My friends son is autistic and he has a big head too. My other children do not. My son had a brain MRI and all was normal, but he had alot of seizures as a young child.
      #22; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:32:00 GMT
    • My 7yo autistic son has always had a large oblong head. I always thought it was form using the vacuum at birth. His head was so big that he couldn't wear a baseball hat ( the hard kind ) at t-ball a couple years ago. Kids bigger than him got it on fine. It makes sense to me that autistic children would have a bigger head. I am going to get his baby book out and see how big his head was when a baby and compare them to the norm.
      #23; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:33:00 GMT
    • Wow.....what a lot of response for this topic. I have two sons with autism. My 7 yr old is very mild...more of the PDD-NOS and his head his perfectly "normal." My 5 yr old is severely autistic and his head has two odd bumps in the back. We had x-rays taken when he was 3 and the tech called it "no problem and inconclusive." It is an interesting theory. He had a smaller head when he was born and is now rather large.
      #24; Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:34:00 GMT
    • Hi! I'm in the Columbia, SC area and I read that the heads can be bigger or smaller~ nothing about bumps or dents. Smaller~ thus smaller brain growth or 'slower' brain growth. My baby has a small head and always has. People have always commented on 'how small and perfec., round' it is. I have a 'big dent' in the back of my head... never had a problem other wise though.

[This message has been edited by alexanderbunch (edited 10-28-2003).]